8.18.2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA


Surprise, surprise! When I have access to books and time to read, I actually read! My son attended a fantasy writing workshop this past week at Politics & Prose, so my daughter and I spent a lot of time in the store while we waited for him. 


I focused most of my bookstore reading energy on the new picture books, but I branched out a bit and read a couple of beginning/leveled readers and short chapter books. I was particularly pleased to find the fourth Anna Hibiscus book, which is the only one I hadn't read. Another good read this week was Emily Carroll's Through the Woods. I had high hopes from the reviews I read and it didn't disappoint. Her fairy tale-esque stories are wonderfully creepy and the endings are kind of open-ended, leaving the reader wondering ... and shivering a bit! Ms. Carroll is supposed to be at SPX next month so I hope to meet her.

(As a side note, I am super thrilled that my son attended the workshop, not only because "Yay, writing!" but also because he read two of the suggested readings, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I enjoyed both books and, for lack of a better term, it warms my heart when my son enjoys the same books I do!)

[To rehash the concept :: post what you read last week, what you're reading now, and what you plan to read this week. If you have a review of the book(s), great! If you have a picture of the book(s), wonderful! If you have a book giveaway, fantastic! If you just list the title(s) of the book(s), not a problem! Make it as simple or as complex as you need it to be. At least, that's the message I got. This version of the meme is hosted by Jen and Kellee of Teach Mentor Text, which, in turn, was inspired by Sheila over at Book Journey, who hosts the original It's Monday! What Are You Reading?]

WHAT I READ LAST WEEK:



The Best Book in the World! by Rilla Alexander

Bo at Ballard Creek by Kirkpatrick Hill

Camp Rex by Molly Idle

Chu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman

The Cosmobiography of Sun Ra by Chris Raschka

Deep in the Sahara by Kelly Cunnane

Diego Rivera: His World and Ours by Duncan Tonatiuh

Doctor White by Jane Goodall

Drop It, Rocket! by Tad Hills

Extraordinary Jane by Hannah E. Harrison

Flashlight by Lizi Boyd

Food Trucks! by Mark Todd

Francis, the Little Fox by Veronique Boisjoly

The Gardener's Surprise by Carla Balzaretti

Goodnight Darth Vader by Jeffrey Brown

The Graveyard Book, Volume 1 (by Neil Gaiman) graphic adaptation by P. Craig Russell, illustrated by various 

Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus! by Atinuke

Hermelin the Detective Mouse by Mini Grey

Hooray for Hat! by Brian Won

How the Meteorite Got to the Museum by Jessie Hartland

How to Lose a Lemur by Frann Preston-Gannon

The Hueys in ... It Wasn't Me by Oliver Jeffers

I'm a Frog! by Mo Willems

I'm My Own Dog by David Ezra Stein

Ling & Ting Share a Birthday by Grace Lin

The Mermaid and the Shoe by K.G. Campbell

The Midnight Library by Kazuno Kohara

The Most Magnificent Mosque by Ann Jungman

The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires

Mr. Brown's Fantastic Hat by Ayano Imai

Mrs. Noodlekugel by Daniel Pinkwater

My New Friend Is So Fun! by Mo Willems

My Pet Book by Bob Staake

My Teachers is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) by Peter Brown

The Numberlys by William Joyce

Oh Dear, Geoffrey! by Gemma O'Neill

Old Manhattan Has Some Farms by Susan Lendroth

A Perfect Place for Ted by Leila Rudge

Thank You, Octopus by Darren Farrell

Three Bears in a Boat by David Soman

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

The Tree House That Jack Built by Bonnie Verburg

Underworld: Exploring the Secret World Beneath Your Feet by Jane Price

When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc & the Creation of Hip Hop by Laban Carrick Hill

The Whispering Town by Jennifer Elvgren

Zubert by Charlie Sutcliffe

WHAT I'M READING NOW:


The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

WHAT I PLAN TO READ THIS WEEK:


Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party by Nathan Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment