8.24.2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA


I went a little overboard with reading The Sixth Gun this week. I stopped buying the volumes awhile ago so I was excited to find so many of them at the library. My son and I read these so I had to keep retrieving the next volume from his room. 

The Day the Crayons Came Home was as delightful as I thought it would be, and I chuckled several times out loud in the bookstore. What I liked about this volume--compared to the first book--is that the crayons are writing postcards, which means the text is shorter. I think, especially for some younger readers, this will be a draw (Ha! See what I did there?). 

And Circus Mirandus! There's a lot of hype surrounding this book, and it combines quite a few themes well, but I understand some of the criticism about character development. But despite that, and whether or not you like fantasy, you should read it because there's some beautifully written passages in it and Circus Mirandus is a magical place that everyone should visit, even if only in their minds and imaginations. And it's a safe bet that this book will be on lots of best-of lists this year. 

[To rehash the concept :: post what you read last week, what you're reading now, and what you plan to read this week. If you have a review of the book(s), great! If you have a picture of the book(s), wonderful! If you have a book giveaway, fantastic! If you just list the title(s) of the book(s), not a problem! Make it as simple or as complex as you need it to be. At least, that's the message I got. This version of the meme is hosted by Jen and Kellee of Teach Mentor Text, which, in turn, was inspired by Sheila over at Book Journey, who hosts the original It's Monday! What Are You Reading?]

WHAT I READ LAST WEEK:



Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley


The Sixth Gun, Book 4: A Town Called Penance written by Cullen Bunn, illustrated by Brian Hurtt and Tyler Crook, colored by Bill Crabtree, and lettered by Douglas E. Sherwood

The Sixth Gun, Book 5: Winter Wolves written by Cullen Bunn, illustrated by Brian Hurtt, colored by Bill Crabtree

The Sixth Gun, Book 6: Ghost Dance written by Cullen Bunn, illustrated by Brian Hurtt, colored by Bill Crabtree, and lettered by Douglas E. Sherwood and Ed Brisson

The Sixth Gun, Book 7: Not the Bullet, But the Fall written by Cullen Bunn, illustrated by Brian Hurtt and Tyler Crook, colored by Bill Crabtree, and lettered by Crank!

The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun written by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt, illustrated by Brian Churilla, colored by Bill Crabtree, and lettered by Douglas E. Sherwood

Tickle Monster by Édouard Manceau

Vegetables in Underwear by Jared Chapman

WHAT I'M READING NOW:


The Forget-Me-Not Summer by Leila Howland

WHAT I PLAN TO READ THIS WEEK:


The Night Parade by Kathryn Tanquary (publication date: January 2016)

The Grace of Kings (Book One of the Dandelion Dynasty) by Ken Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment