8.24.2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

[The original It's Monday! What Are You Reading? hosted by Sheila over at Book Journey]

I think I first heard about this book on Shelf Awareness and put it on Hold at the library right away. Despite having learned Japanese history in Japanese school I remember very little, so the beginning section of this book was a great primer on the tumultuous and violent transition from feudal Japan to the Meiji Restoration (i.e., "modernization"). And who knew that three young girls got sucked up into the government's modernization frenzy and ended up spending a decade in the US? In 1871! A fascinating look at women's history and cultural understanding during a time of many changes. I found it particularly interesting because of my own background of being born in Japan but raised in the US.

WHAT I READ LAST WEEK:

Daughters of the Samurai: A Journey from East to West and Back by Janice P. Nimura

No comments:

Post a Comment